This is my new favorite pesto recipe . It has pistachios which makes it unique and it is also completely oil free which makes it very light. However it is still very creamy because of the avocado and pistachios. I served it with raw zucchini noodles and a few pistachios on top for some crunch, but you can serve it with regular cooked pasta if you like to. The best part is the leftover pesto that I use for my cold sandwiches and I can never get enough of it!
- 1 cup basil
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- half of a medium avocado
- 12 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- FOR THE ZOODLES: 4 medium zucchini, ends trimmed
- Using a spiralizer, slice the zucchini into noodles. Set aside.
- FOR THE PESTO: combine the pistachios and garlic in a food processor and pulse until it’s very finely chopped. Now add the basil and pulse again.
- Add the rest of the pesto ingredients and pulse until it turns into a smooth mixture.
- Add more salt and lemon juice if needed
- Note-You can add olive oil if you don’t need an oil free pesto. You can also add nutritional yeast to give it a more cheesy flavor. But in my opinion, this recipe is creamy and tasty enough on its own and doesn’t need any additional ingredients 🙂
- Combine the zucchini noodles and pesto. Toss until zucchini noodles are well coated.
- Top with pistachios for some crunch and black peppers for some more seasoning.
- If you don’t like raw noodles, you can place the noodles in a skillet and sauté on low heat for a few minutes before you add the pesto dressing