Serves: 4 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 35 mins
- 1 cup (192 g) dry red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 2 tbsp red curry paste (or 3 tbsp curry powder)
- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 3 cups of water
- A pinch of turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp full fat coconut milk (optional but highly recommended)
- 1 tsp chopped cilantro for garnish
- Sauté garlic and ginger in a non-stick pan over medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Stir frequently and add tiny amount of water to the pan every minute.
- Add curry paste and carrots and sauté in the same way for another 3 minutes.
- Add lentils, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, turmeric, salt, (pepper) and water
- Bring to simmer over medium heat. Then reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 25 minutes or until lentils are cooked.
- Stir in coconut milk and let it simmer for 2 minutes, Save some coconut milk for the topping
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it with rice