Serves: 2 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30-35 minutes | Total time: 40-45 mins
- 1 cup green or red lentils
- 12 ounces of pasta
- 3 medium carrots, shredded very finely
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or 1/5 cup brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp Fresh basil, very finely chopped
- salt as needed
- Sauté onions in a medium pot for 6 minutes or until they are golden brown. You can saute onions in a nonstick pot by adding tiny amounts of water every few minutes. But feel free to add oil if you like to.
- Add garlic , carrots, paprika, cayenne and salt. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Now add lentils, sugar, apple cider vinegar, tomato paste, more salt, vegetable broth and water. Stir the mixture well and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 30 minutes until the lentils are cooked but not mushy. If the sauce becomes too thick, add more water or vegetable broth. Once cooked, stir in the fresh basil and let the sauce simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according the instructions. Serve the sauce over the cooked pasta and add more basil on top (optional)