Serves: 4 | Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 30 mins
- 1 8oz pack of tempeh (ideally organic and non-gmo)
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts,
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- In a large pan, sauté onion with 1 tsp of paprika for 5 minutes or until they are golden brown. You can make them oil-free by adding tiny amounts of water every few minutes. But feel free to add oil if you like to.
- Now add the walnuts to a food processor until they look finely chopped, but be careful not to overdue.
- Now add the walnut to the pan. Combine it with the onion mixture and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until the walnut pieces look slightly toasted.
- Crumble tempeh into pieces with your hands. Small crumbles are preferred but adjust it to your taste.
- Now add the tempeh crumbles, tomato paste, 1 tsp paprika and the rest of seasonings to the pan. Add 2 tbsp of water or more if needed. Let the mixture simmer for up to 10 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- To serve: Pair it with pasta, veggies (optional) and some chopped basil on top (optional).